How to DI-Kawaii
See how Kitty Pryde puts the twinkle on her toes with this super fun DIY!
-Steve Madden BRAADY sneakers
-At least 55 inches of lace ribbon
-At least 4 feet of narrow pink ribbon
-Pastel pink fabric paint
-Sheer glitter fabric paint
1. Remove original shoelaces, snip off two 24 inch lengths of pink ribbon, and relace each sneaker with a length of ribbon.
2. Squeeze a line of pink fabric paint around the opening of the shoes, just underneath the seam.
3. Use the paintbrush to gently brush the paint downwards, creating a fade from pink to the natural white color of the shoe. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the color is as vivid as you want. I used about three coats of pink paint.
4. Cut four 3.5″ lengths of lace ribbon, and after the pink paint dries on the shoes, squeeze a line of tacky glue across one edge of each short length of lace. Gently place each ribbon onto each side of the tongue, and press the edge of the ribbon into the seam of the shoe to hide it. Let the glue dry for about two minutes.
5. Cut two 9.25″ lengths of lace ribbon, squeeze a line of tacky glue across one edge of each length. Wrap each length gently around the top edges of the shoes, where the pink paint is brightest. Press the glued edge into the seam of the opening of the shoe.
6. Squeeze a line of sheer glitter paint across the toe of the shoe. Use the paintbrush to brush the paint over the fabric, creating a subtle glittery effect. Use as many coats as you want- the more layers of paint, the more sparkly the shoes!